Looking for a way to interact with people, learn amazing facts, and spend time with exotic animals? Join the Docent Program at the Hattiesburg Zoo! In this program, volunteers guide guests and inform them of various zoo activities, while enriching their experience with fascinating animal facts.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Guide guests through the zoo, and inform visitors of zoo activities while orienting them to various exhibits.
- Provide interpretive opportunities, activities, and events on grounds.
- Deliver lessons for school groups, scout groups, tour groups, camps, etc. on and off grounds.
- Assist zoo staff with special events held on grounds.
- Handle animal artifacts for programs on and off grounds with occasional animal handling.
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- Must be able to work and communicate well with others.
- Must be able to volunteer a minimum average of 4 hours every two weeks.
- Must complete exhibit training.
- Must participate in continuing education as required.
- Must pass a background investigation.
- Must be able to work for at least 6 months.
DOCENTS SHOULD BE PREPARED TO:
- Interact with visitors on a regular basis.
- Be on their feet for extended periods of time.
- Be outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Work closely and cooperatively with others.
- Work around potentially dangerous wild animals in a controlled environment.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your first training.